If you can dream it, you can simulate it.
As power systems evolve, the need for accurate, intuitive simulation tools becomes more and more important. With PSCAD™/EMTDC™ you can build, simulate, and model your systems with ease, providing limitless possibilities in power system simulation. Included is a comprehensive library of system models ranging from simple passive elements and control functions, to electric machines and other complex devices.
What is PSCAD?
PSCAD (Power Systems Computer Aided Design) is a powerful and flexible graphical user interface to the world-renowned, EMTDC electromagnetic transient simulation engine. PSCAD enables the user to schematically construct a circuit, run a simulation, analyse the results, and manage the data in a completely integrated, graphical environment. Online plotting functions, controls and meters are also included, enabling the user to alter system parameters during a simulation run, and thereby view the effects while the simulation is in progress.
PSCAD comes complete with a library of pre-programmed and tested simulation models, ranging from simple passive elements and control functions, to more complex models, such as electric machines, full-on FACTS devices, transmission lines and cables. If a required model does not exist, PSCAD provides avenues for building custom models. For example, custom models may be constructed by piecing together existing models to form a module, or by constructing rudimentary models from scratch in a flexible design environment.
The following are some common models found in the PSCAD master library:
– Resistors, inductors, capacitors
– Mutually coupled windings, such as transformers
– Frequency dependent transmission lines and cables
– Current and voltage sources
– Switches and breakers
– Protection and relaying
– Diodes, thyristors and GTOs
– Analog and digital control functions
– AC and DC machines, exciters, governors, stabilizers and inertial models
– Meters and measuring functions
– Generic DC and AC controls
– HVDC, SVC, and other FACTS controllers
– Wind source, turbines and governors
PSCAD, and its simulation engine EMTDC, have enjoyed close to 40 years of development, inspired by ideas and suggestions by its ever strengthening, worldwide user base. This development philosophy has helped to establish PSCAD as one of the most powerful and intuitive CAD software packages available.
Who Uses PSCAD, and for What?
The PSCAD users’ spectrum includes engineers and scientists from utilities, manufacturers, consultants, as well as research, military and academic institutions. It is used in planning, operation, design, commissioning, preparing of tender specifications, teaching and research. The following are examples of the studies routinely conducted using PSCAD:
– Contingency studies of AC networks consisting of rotating machines, exciters, governors, turbines, transformers, transmission lines, cables, and loads
– Relay coordination
– Transformer saturation effects
– Insulation coordination of transformers, breakers and arrestors
– Impulse testing of transformers
– Sub-synchronous resonance (SSR) studies of networks with machines, transmission lines and HVDC systems
– Evaluation of filter design and harmonic analysis
– Control system design and coordination of FACTS and HVDC; including STATCOM, VSC, and cycloconverters
– Optimal design of controller parameters
– Investigation of new circuit and control concepts
– Lightning strikes, faults or breaker operations
– Steep front and fast front studies
– Electric naval vessel design
– Investigation of the pulsing effects of diesel engines and wind turbines on electric networks
What’s New in PSCAD V5?
- PRSIM™ (Power System Importer) – Included in Enhanced Package
- PSCAD Initializer
- Automation: Embedded Python Scripting With Recording
- Modified, Augmented Nodal Analysis (MANA) in EMTDC
- KLU Sparsity Algorithm in EMTDC
- New Master Library Models
- General Master Library Model Enhancements
- Blackbox Upgrade
- New and Improved External Resource File Handling
- New Binary EMTDC Output File Format
- Co-Simulation Interface
- Rubber Banding (Sticky Wires)
- Multiple Language Support in Sticky Notes (Unicode)
- Cluster Launch System (CLS)
- Tandem Lines: Sliding Faults
- Mixing of Overhead and Underground Transmission Systems
- COMPLEX Signal Type
- Enhanced Component Parameter Dialog
- Project Navigation Enhancements
- Improved Parallel Multiple Run (PMR)
- Simulation Set Functionality Improvements
- New and Enhanced Global Substitutions Design
- New and Improved Parameter Grid
- Smart Paste
- Enhanced Component Wizard Design
- Animated Graphics Patch